Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in /home/content/45/10396645/html/wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 231

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: nothing to repeat at offset 1 in /home/content/45/10396645/html/wp-includes/class-wp.php on line 232
About Us | Central Florida Council | Boy Scouts of America
Pages Menu
Categories Menu

About Us


Central Florida Council serves Scouts in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Brevard, Volusia and Flagler Counties. Its headquarters is located in Apopka, Florida, and its primary Scout camp is Camp La-No-Che in Paisley, Florida, adjacent to the Ocala National Forest. In 1922, the Central Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America, was chartered by the National Council to implement a quality Scouting program to all youth in its geographic area. The council is incorporated in the State of Florida.

Apopka Shores District
Riverside District
Challenger District
Fort Gatlin District
Three Rivers District
Lake District
Little Econ District
Osceola District
Sand Lake District
Seminole Springs District
Tuscarora District


Camp La-No-Che is the Boy Scout Camp located on the North shore of Lake Norris in Paisley, Florida. It is a part of Central Florida Council of the Boy Scouts of America and is lanoche1 home to Tipisa Lodge of the Order of the Arrow (OA). Camp La-No-Che is part of the Leonard and Marjorie Williams Family Scout Reservation.

La-No-Che is 1,480 acres (6.0 km2) and located near the southern border of the Ocala National Forest and on the shores of lake Norris. It is also on the North side of the Wekiva River Protection Area.

The camp is open year round with its most active time being the 8 weeks during summer camp in June and July. La-No-Che also hosts weekends for local JROTC units, Venturing units, Learning for Life units, Cub Scouts (Boy Scouts of America), and Webelos (Boy Scouts of America) weekends. Tipisa Lodge also hosts OA events including sectional weekends.

lanoche5There are multiple sub-camp locations on the Leonard and Marjorie Williams Family Scout Reservation including Camp Rybolt — a large group camping area, Camp Pooh Bear — a secluded and primitive camp, and Adventure Camp, which has a Project COPE course.

The camp has two waterfront areas with docks, an aquatics program, a climbing wall, two swimming pools, laundry facilities, a trading post (camp store), shotgun, rifle, and archery ranges, a health lodge, outdoor chapel, dining hall, and multiple modern latrines. Also contained on the property is a water treatment plant, 5 residential houses, sulphur springs, Pooh Bear Lake, 17 Troop campsites, a baseball field, amphitheater, basketball court, bouldering wall, a dance arbor, and the Florida Trail.

The W.T. Bland Dining Hall is a full service food facility able to produce 3 meals a day for 1000+ campers.

Adventure treks and hiking trails are numerous including Big Stump, a 12′ cypress stump an Orlando area attraction trek, Eagle Week, SCUBA diving, climbing, caving, kayaking, sailing, and trail biking. American Red Cross Health & Safety Certifications are also offered.



Central Florida Council’s summer camping was originally located at Camp WeWa off of Orange Blossom Trail (US Hwy 441) Apopka, Florida. Due to limited available land for expansion, close proximity to a highway, and a polluted lake on property, the Central Florida Council decided to seek new property around 1949. The Committee to find new land suitable for a summer camp was headed by Judge Don Cheney, an Orange County judge and long time Scouting supporter who was the first president of the Central Florida Council when it was organized in the 1920s.[3] Through various means they investigated the Gould Hunting Lodge on the north shore of Lake Norris in Lake County, FL. The hunting lodge was owned by the wealthy Gould family from Massachusetts, owners of the Gould Pump Company. The former Camp WeWa was sold to the YMCA, which still operates a program there under that name.

The first summer camp held on the new property was in 1950. During 1950 and 1951
there was no public electrical hook up onto the camp, although there was an electrical generator used for lights and a well-water pump. Ice blocks were brought in along with butane and propane for cooking and hot water purposes. In 1952, a 5000 Watt generator was purchased due to plans for an on-site refrigerator unit.

A few years later on the west end of the property land was purchased from the Dyke family, who was given continued access. Their house still exists today. The purchased land included the Sulfur Springs and the Big Stump nature areas, as well as a creek that feeds into Lake Norris.

The camp name was given by Judge Don Cheney and consists of “La” for Lake, “No” for Norris and “Chee” to give it an Indian sounding ending. According to Tom Burgess a professional Scouter of that era, “Cheney absolutely insisted that the name be La-No-Che… one “e”, and even in the face of the fact that “La Noche” translates “the night” in Spanish…behind his back everyone understood that it was his way of putting the name of “Cheney” on the camp in perpetuity!”

In the mid-1990s, Florida based supermarket Winn-Dixie donated a large sum of money to the Central Florida Council, and the camp was given the overall title of “Winn-Dixie Scout Reservation.” In 2007, the Winn-Dixie name expired, and the Scout Reservation later sold naming rights to the Leonard and Marjorie Williams family.


Order of the Arrow

Tipisa Lodge
Tipisa Lodge
Founded 1946
Lodge Chief
Lodge Adviser
Staff Adviser Matthew Ragan

Tipisa Lodge #326 is a Lodge of the Order of the Arrow associated with Central Florida Council. It is descended from the Tipisa Honor Camper Society, and is the only lodge of that organization to retain the Tipisa name. Tipisa weekends are always held at Camp La-No-Che. It is part of Section 4, Southern Region. As of 2014, membership in Tipisa Lodge numbered more than 1,450 Scouts and Scouters.

The Lodge was formed as an extension of the “Tipisa Honor Camper Society” in 1938. The society, which was originally created in 1930, also had chapters in Boy Scout councils in Michigan and Indiana. The Indiana chapter was chartered as an OA Lodge under the name “Me-she-kin-no-quah #269” in 1944, and the Michigan chapter was chartered as “Tecumseh #332” in 1946. The Central Florida chapter retained the Tipisa name, and was also chartered as an OA Lodge in 1946. “Tipisa” is from the Sioux language, meaning “red tipi”.

Tipisa hosts 4 events annually, including: Spring Conclave in March, OA Service Weekend in May, the Lodge Leadership Development Program (LLDP) and Banquet in August, and Fall Fellowship in September. It also hosts TNAW (Tipisa Native American Weekend) in February. The chapters of the lodge host their own Ordeal weekends (with some chapters holding joint weekends) from October to February.

Tipisa Lodge is divided into eleven chapters, each representing a separate district of Central Florida Council.

District Chapter
Riverside Nefketeh
Challenger Kikape
Ft. Gatlin Mato Tanka
Three Rivers Tomoka
Lake Wewahitchka
Little Econ Tosohatchee
Osceola Wahitlaw
Apopka Shores Ayochatta
Sand Lake Lemhee-Okee
Tuscarora Micconope
Seminole Springs Huracan