University of Scouting
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!!
The 2017 University of Scouting is January 28th!!!
Edgewater High School
3100 Edgewater Drive
Orlando, FL 32804
University of Scouting is an annual one-day supplemental training event for volunteer leaders, youth (age 11 and up), and parents at all levels in every Scouting program: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing, District, or Council.
Whether you are new to the Scouting program or a veteran of many years, the University of Scouting has something for you! Boy Scout and Venturing Youth can participate in youth training programs to enhance their skill levels and encourage them to explore new adventures in Scouting. Come spend a day having fun and learning with Scouters from across the Central Florida Council.
Cost is $15 for the Day ($20 after 1/25/17 – Food and promotional items are not included )
University of Scouting is an action-packed, fun-filled single day of supplemental training where participants choose from over 150 courses. Sessions are led by experienced Scouting volunteers who will help you enhance your ability to deliver a fun and exciting program to the Scouts. It’s the time to ask all those questions to experienced leaders! This unique day of seminars provides information, techniques, and best practices on how to improve your Scout program.
University of Scouting (UoS) is divided into five “colleges”:
- Youth College, for Boy Scout and Venturing youth aged 11 to 18. Examples of courses Scouts can take include Den Chief Training, Eagle Scout Workshops, and Leadership Skills, among many others.
- Cub Scout Adult Leader College, which has courses aimed to provide supplemental training to leaders of boys in the program between the ages of 6 and 11. Come and learn about Cub Scout Ceremonies, Cub Scout Campout Cooking, STEM for Cub Scouts, or Webelos-to-Scouts Transition planning, and dozens of other great courses!
- Boy Scout Adult Leader College, which has courses aimed at leaders of boys aged 12 to 18. Courses include focuses on understanding the patrol method, helping youth develop self-sufficiency, and understanding how your committee and charter organization work to support your program.
- Venturing College, which has courses for any youth over 14 years of age and adults who are Venturing leaders. Courses focus on specific training needs of the unique Venturing program, which is co-ed.
- General Studies College (includes Commissioners Studies), which has valuable classes for leaders at all levels. UoS participants can take classes in the General College for Disability Awareness, Guide to Social Media in Scouting, Money Earning Success Strategies, Valuing Diversity and so much more that enhances every level of our Scouting program!
First-year UoS participants can begin with receiving training to get their “Associates of Scouting” degree in the college of their choice. While a degree program is not required, it can be a fun way to showcase the training you have received! In your second year, you can move on to a “Bachelors of Scouting,”and beyond in future years to more advanced degrees. For more information, read this handy document on “How to Earn Your Degree.”
Additional Program Information
Check back soon!
Registration is now open!
Youth – $15 ($20 after 1/25/17)
Adults – $15 ($20 after 1/25/17)
Cost includes registration for the training. There are optional costs for food and for promotional items like shirts.
Registration increases to $20 after 1/25/17.
Want More Information?
2017 University of Scouting Cabinet
Lucy Slaton, Degree Programs Senior Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joyce Larson, Undergraduate Degree Advisor, email@example.com
Cheryl Cowley, Masters Studies Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucy Slaton, PhD101 Studies Advisor, email@example.com
Stephie Hendry, PhD102 Studies Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wes Estey, PhAD Studies Advisor, email@example.com
2017 University Links
2017 University of Scouting – Commitment to Teach Survey – For instructors to affirm their commitment to teach.
Refer back to this page for a digital copy of the 2017 University of Scouting Course Guide, available late October.
The University of Scouting is supplemental training and is best for Scouters who have completed the BSA basic training associated with their unit position.
Updated: 18 NOVEMBER 2016