Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Recording Service Hours

You will need your unit ID (five to 11 digits) and your unit number (four digits, no letters). You can get this information by calling your council service center.

Go to our website at
Look for the “Service Project” area of the screen. Click on “Enter service hours here.” Choose “Click here to log in or create an account.” Volunteers with a MyScouting account can also reach the Journey to Excellence service hour website by clicking on the service hours link on the left side of the screen in the “Unit Tools” section.

First-Time Users

Select “Click Here” to register. Complete your information and create a username and password. The user name must be unique (you may have to try again). Your e-mail address will be used only if you forget your password.

Returning Users

Enter your username and password, then click “Login.” Select an option.

View All Previously Recorded Projects

To select the project you want to view or edit, click on the project name. To edit the project, click on the field, type in the correct information, and press “Update.” To print a certificate, press “Print Certificate.”

Report a Service Project

Select one service project type that best describes your project. Input the data requested:

  • Date of the project

  • Number of
    registered Scouts participating

  • Number of
    non-Scouts (brothers, sisters, friends)

  • Number of adult
    leaders participating

  • Number of other
    adults participating

  • Total hours worked
    (number of people times the length of time they worked)

  • Organizations that
    joined you on the project

  • Who or what
    organization benefited from the project

  • Number of items
    collected (if applicable)

Click on “Submit.”
When you submit your information, you will be asked whether you have any additional projects to record. To print a certificate, press “Print Certificate.”

How can an Eagle Scout record his service hours?

There are 2 ways for Eagle project information to be entered. 

  1. The preferred
    method is to let the council registrar enter the project date and
    number of service hours as part of the Eagle Application
    verification process that is done when the Life Scout has completed
    all requirements and the application is submitted to the service
    center for “verification” before the Eagle board of

  2. The second method
    is data entry by someone with the unit login and password and the
    Eagle Scout’s BSA member ID number.  Follow the
    instruction below for this method:
    You will need to have the
    Eagle Scout project workbook handy. Input the data requested:

  3. The applicant’s
    full name

  4. The project
    completion date

  5. Number of Scouts
    working on the project

  6. Number of non-Scout
    youth working on the project

  7. Number of leaders
    working on the project

  8. Number of other
    adults working on the project

  9. Total hours worked
    on the project (number of people times the length of time they

  10. Cost of materials
    required to complete the project 

  11. Project category
    (selected from the drop-down box)

  12. Type of group
    benefiting from the project

  13. The specific group
    that benefited from the project

How does an Order of the Arrow lodge record their service hours?

Each local council has an OA lodge ID that can be used to log Order of the Arrow service
hours. Anyone from the lodge can create an account and record hours with that lodge ID. All OA units are “Lodge” unit type. The unit number is a 1, 2 or 3 digit number that matches the council number. Council 1 OA unit number is 1, council 212 OA number is 212. If the council has units with the same number as the council number, that is not a problem because the unit ID will help the computer differentiate between the various accounts. Follow the same instructions for units recording their service hours.

How do Lone Scouts record their service hours?

There are two options available, and Lone Scouts should contact the local council to determine the best option.

One option is to find a unit in the area and ask them to report your service hours along with theirs. Lone Scouts can also report their hours through the local Order of the Arrow lodge. Each local council has an OA lodge ID that can be used to log Lone Scout service hours. In order to track Lone Scout hours, it is suggested that in the area to list partners, you type in “Lone Scout.”